Feb 7, 2007

The Unlikely BAMF

I've never really considered myself a big fan of stand-up comedy. I've had several friends who were really into the stand-up scene (and I'm afraid to admit how many hours of Eddie Izzard certain friends made me watch-- you know who you are.) For a while, I thought the only stand-up comedian that I'd ever really laugh at was Chris Rock, as I do own several of his stand-up routines because I genuinely think they are funny.

I've heard the hype surrounding this guy for quite a while, but I refused to buy into it based upon stubborn principle (kinda like how I boycotted the Dave Matthews Band during my first three years of college because everyone kept telling me how "awesome" they were.) However, I recently made the mistake of TiVo'ing one of his HBO specials. And a new fanatic was born.

Dane Cook, you are by far one of the crudest comics I have EVER heard. Your jokes are profane, slapstick-ish, aimed for the masses, and incredibly juvenile. You butcher the English language, make up completely new words for what you're trying to communicate (what the hell is a Chicken Sangwich?) and make up asinine acronyms as part of your routine.


But you make me laugh my ass off, and for that, I think I'm in love with you.

4 Comments:

At February 09, 2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the stand-ups I see on Comedy Central and other cable channels aren't even remotely funny but they seem to get laughs from the live audience. I think there is some kind of dynamic going on, like maybe the laughter is just contagious from person to person after starting with one soul who was easily amused, or maybe they feel like they better damn well laugh after paying a cover and buying two drinks.

 
At February 14, 2007 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is quite purty ;-)

 
At February 16, 2007 12:31 PM, Blogger A. said...

I completely agree. He's the comic that you feel like you shouldn't like, but then you're laughing you a** off.

 
At February 19, 2007 9:35 PM, Blogger David Tellez said...

You're barely discovering the word, "Sangwich"? I think it's time to spend more time in a college bar among drunken idiots. If only to brush up on your entertainment lingo. In any event, congratulations on finding the funny Dane Cook!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home