Oct 26, 2006

Karma's Bitch Slap

In life, especially in LEGAL life, I have learned two rules:

  1. Treat your legal support staff like gold and you can never go wrong.
  2. If possible, treat your Tech Support staff even better.

Here's the situation: I was feeling pretty smug about my Carrie Bradshaw-slamming in my last post. I was impressed to see that the majority of you felt the same way I do about her. It's no secret that I can't stand Carrie. I just never dreamed that I would have a Carrie Bradshaw moment taken directly from Sex and the City.

Karma totally bitch-slapped me. That's all I can say. I was on my sassy horse, and I left myself completely wide open. A few days after the Carrie-slamming post, I turned on my computer to take notes during class... and my computer froze. To quote a little bit of Aidan Shaw, "I tried a few home remedies," but nothing happened. My computer wouldn't reboot. It wouldn't really do anything. I took it to the Tech Support crew at my law school... where they took it apart and informed me that my mother board was shot and that my hard drive had completely given out. But, the tech guys said, it wasn't that big of a deal because I had backed up my files... right?

Wrong. I had not backed up my files since my first semester of law school. It was always one of those things I had planned on doing, but never found the time to take the 15 seconds to back up my files. (Can you tell I'm a bit annoyed with myself here?) Faced with the possibility that I had lost all of my notes and outlines from the beginning of law school, I began to panic. The Tech Support guys took a bit of pity on the hyperventilating brunette in front of them and told me they would try to recover all they could from my defunct-hard drive. They warned me, however, that the chances of a full recovery were slim to none.

I got my computer back yesterday. The Tech Support guys were able to recover everything. Every keystroke I have ever taken since the day I purchased my laptop was saved. They even managed to save my massive iTunes collection. Needless to say, I am supremely grateful to the Tech Support crew here and they will be receiving a plate of homemade cookies from me tomorrow.

So, in legal life, there are really three essential rules:

  1. Treat your legal support staff like gold and you can never go wrong.
  2. If possible, treat your Tech Support staff even better.
  3. ALWAYS back up your files.

Any questions?

1 Comments:

At October 31, 2006 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those theories work outside of law school too. ALWAYS be nice to secretaries, receptionists etc... they can make your life easy or a living hell.

Your choice ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home