Apr 18, 2006

Trial and Tribulations

Kitrah and I had our mock trial last Thursday. As a team, we represented the plaintiffs in a wrongful death action. I thought we had a pretty solid case against the defendant corporation, but we ended up losing due to the negligence of a third party. While I was initially a bit bummed, I felt like Kitrah and I accepted our defeat with dignity and grace. I also took solace in the fact that we totally could have moved for a mistrial and the judge most likely would have granted it (due to the fact that opposing counsel made a MONUMENTAL error in his closing statement that completely tainted the jury.) In addition, Kitrah and I were told that the facts of the case were against us, but we had presented a better case overall. I'm translating that into meaning that we'll get a good grade.

I used the mock trial as an excuse to break in a new pair of shoes. They're a really cute pair of platform shoes with a 3.5 inch heel (and I'm pushing 5'6" when I wear them, which is AWESOME.) Anyway, they looked great with my trial suit and I thought that I had gotten adequately adjusted to the extra height on the heel. Apparently NOT. On Friday, I was trotting into the law school to grab my checkbook, and my ankle buckled. This happens on occasion, and usually I can recover without any injury to myself (besides looking stupid, that is.) Not this time. The extra half-inch on my platform was enough to sprain my ankle as I stumbled over the sidewalk. Thankfully, I did NOT fall down, although I probably should have, as I was the dumbass who was trotting around in 3.5 inch heels. I'm not sure why I have such an affinity for platform shoes... probably for the same reason my friend Amanda has an affinity for purses and playing Bingo. (No, she's not 80!) So I've been sporting a slightly sprained ankle for the last couple of days. Does it hurt? A bit. Has it stopped me from wearing the shoes? No.

I think I really may be a dumbass....

5 Comments:

At April 18, 2006 10:49 AM, Blogger LawNut said...

A little pain is ok as long as it's in the name of fashion - gotta look cute!! :-)

 
At April 18, 2006 11:51 AM, Blogger HMC said...

I can't stand platform shoes or wedge heels. Give me a stiletto heel any day of the week!

 
At April 18, 2006 3:31 PM, Blogger David Tellez said...

See, that's what happens when y'all wear big chunky shoes, circa 1976! Follow HMC's advice and go with the stiletto. From a guy's point of view, girls legs have never looked hotter.

P.S. It sucks that you lost your case, but it's great you got the good grade! Funny how things like that work out...

 
At April 18, 2006 4:34 PM, Blogger TLG said...

hmc... stilletto?? you like to live on the edge, don't you :)

I am not a fan of heels at all. Bad feet, bad back. Flats all the way, baybee. I have one pair of stillettos and they only have a three or four inch heel. I have one other pair of heels and they're not that high either. Weddings and funerals only, lemme tell you.

 
At April 19, 2006 9:59 AM, Blogger The Namby Pamby said...

The things we do for fashion...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home