Apr 25, 2006

Identity Crisis

In the last week, two classmates have called me out for my extensive pop culture awareness. I'm not sure how I feel about this, as I obviously have made an impact upon my classmates as being a mega-movie and pop culture buff.

The first occurrence happened with my friend Recovering Catholic. She was talking with a group of friends in the hallway as I passed by with Kitrah and The Statesman. She shouted out, "BLS! You'll know this!" I dropped back and asked Recovering Catholic what was up, expecting her to ask me to clarify a Business Transactions assignment. Instead, she asked me, "Is it true that Britney Spears was the target of a child welfare investigation?" I said, "Oh, yeah. Her baby fell out of a high chair, I think." She turned back to her group of friends, exclaiming, "Val, you were right!" I shook my head, smiled, and went about my merry way.

The second occurrence happened today. I was walking outside towards my car when I happened upon Captain America and a classmate I have not discussed before, but who I will call Contracts Whiz, as he was the guy in Contracts who seemed to understand EVERYTHING about them. I admired him and hated him at the same time. But I digress. Anyway, I cracked a joke to Captain America and he said, "We're frozen. Haven't you seen The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?" I said, "I read the book years ago, but I still haven't seen Narnia." Contracts Whiz looked at me and said, "You mean there are movies YOU haven't seen?"

So, I pose the question to you: Is it better to have an identity as the gal who knows an awful lot about pop culture, or should I have been pushing harder to make my law school identity a hard-working and studious one?

I don't know. You tell me.

5 Comments:

At April 26, 2006 7:04 AM, Blogger HMC said...

People at work ask me to grade their comics AND fix their server issues. It's nice to have both. Makes you well rounded. =)

 
At April 26, 2006 8:25 AM, Blogger First Year said...

Been thinking sort of the same thing myself. While I have a good grasp of the material, I don't really debate or banter about it with classmates. A few days ago I noticed many classmates sitting around chatting about the material and felt a little "shamed".

But I think its best to keep your own interests and life and also be a law student. Don't be one of those obsessed freaks who thinks, breathes, eats, and lives the law.

One of my classmates has the scales of justice tattoed on his arm.... don't be that guy :)

 
At April 27, 2006 8:28 PM, Blogger LawNut said...

I have to go with First Year on this one. Recently a fellow second year law student mentioned to me, "You watch an awful lot of TV for a first year." At the time I chuckled about the comment and responded something having to do with the incredible invention of the DVR allowing me to watch all of my shows at 3am when I can't sleep; but the more I have thought about it, I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. I do the best I can in school, and still keep being the person that I am - I was never the girl that talked about school stuff out of school - why should I be that girl now? Maybe I don't rank #1 in my class, and maybe if I outlined more during the semester and watched less TV I could rank #1 - who knows?? But, the bottom line is that one day (hopefully) when I'm a lawyer (hopefully), it won't matter how I did in school as much as that I retained a semblance of myself throughout school; and that's the best type of identity to have - your own.

 
At April 28, 2006 1:45 PM, Blogger Law-Rah said...

I think *most* law school students pretty much suck regardless of what they think they know. You should embrace your knowledge of pop-culture as being a way to stand out from them:-)

 
At May 06, 2006 7:35 PM, Blogger Filch said...

I think you should just go out and see "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home