Mar 23, 2006

Super-Smart Valley Girl

I-66 posed an interesting question on his blog today. He was talking about the different types of English that he has mastered and then asked what kind of English his readers speak. My comments to his blog entry got me thinking about what kind of English I do speak. My first inclination is to say, "Proper English," but I know that's not the case 100% of the time, especially when I get passionate about something. In those cases, it's like I'm speaking "Proper Drunken Sailor English." Despite my tendencies to have a potty mouth at times, my thoughts then went back to my friend Willow, who once told me, "BLS, you are so funny. When I listen to you talk, it's like I'm listening to a Valley Girl, but a super-smart one!"

Super-Smart Valley Girl. That's my English. I've been thinking about it, and I could be offended by Willow's comment, but I shouldn't be, because she was just telling me the truth about some the phrases that I use a lot. Reflecting on some of the words that I have a tendency to over-use, my vocabulary list includes the following: "like," "you know," "I was all," "and then he was all," "totally," "awesome," "cool," and my own personal favorite, "Oh, my GAWD!"

In my own defense, I would like to think that I don't sound like a total ditz all the time. Yes, I was a cheerleader in high school (very short lived-- quit in favor of the debate team -- e-mail me for more info) and I fully admit to using the aforementioned phrases quite a bit. However, that doesn't mean that I'm speaking like a space cadet ALL THE TIME. If the occasion requires, I can speak in a very dignified and elegant manner (until I trip in my heels and drop a profanity, that is.) I would have to ask the people who spend a good chunk of time with me to answer this question (The Statesman, Kitrah, what do you think?)

If all else fails, though, at least I have a great idea for my Halloween costume... Super-Smart Valley Girl, away!

Now I just need to find a cape.

6 Comments:

At March 23, 2006 1:07 PM, Blogger David Tellez said...

OH MY GAWD! I love Valley Girl talk! I think it's cuz I talk like that too. I totally use and abuse the phrases "like" and "I was all". And plus, I like to make up my own words to describe what I'm saying. Like, "millajoit" and "flamitzy". People dont know what the hell I'm saying but at least I know I get my point across, you know?

 
At March 23, 2006 1:13 PM, Blogger The BLS said...

LOL. Don't you just hate it when you feel all floopy? :)

 
At March 29, 2006 5:30 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I speak Southern English, (with a touch of California Valley Girl when I want to annoy my friends.)

"That's so gnarly dude!"

However, I speaked the Queens English and clip every word when I'm pissed off.

 
At March 29, 2006 5:30 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

That would be "I speak"

 
At March 31, 2006 6:18 AM, Blogger HMC said...

I'm told it sounds like I have a Southern accent. I've also been told that I'm practically unintelligible when I get excited. I think it's the back-woods hick town accent. I kind of drawl. =)

I think I speak mostly Proper English only because I'm too whitebread to pull of Street English. =)

 
At March 31, 2006 6:25 AM, Blogger HMC said...

Or maybe I'm more hick than I thought. I just told someone "Naw man. Mah brain can't take anymore learnin'." Lol. Can you believe that people actually take me seriously?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home