Feb 8, 2006

Bureaucracy at its Finest

I lost my driver's license about a week ago. I kept hoping that I would find it stuck between the seats in my car, but I never found it and resigned myself to the position that my license would most likely be found with all the socks that disappear from the dryer each time I do laundry. In any case, I needed to get my license replaced, as I have this uncanny habit of getting pulled over when I don't have a license on me. As I wanted to avoid this, a trip to the DMV was necessary.

Upon my arrival, I learned that I would need to fill out an application for a new driver's license, which I did. Then the clerk asked for some identification. I whipped out my social security card, my Costco card, my Student ID card (which has my social security number on it), and a credit card that has my picture on it. I was then informed that all these forms of ID's were "secondary forms of identification" and I needed to produce either a birth certificate, passport, or DRIVER'S LICENSE to get a replacement driver's license. The following is an actual transcript of the exchange between me and Donna DMV:


Donna DMV: The Social Security Card will serve as one form of primary identification. However, we need another.

The BLS: You mean that my student ID won't count, even though it has my social security number on it?

Donna DMV: Unfortunately, no. You need to produce either a passport, birth certificate, or driver's license.


The BLS: Wait... you're telling me that I need to produce a driver's license in order to get a replacement driver's license? You know, to REPLACE the one that I lost?

Donna DMV: Yes.

The BLS: Ohh... kay....

Luckily, she decided to plug my social security number into the computer, and thankfully, my current driver's license popped up (with a photo), eliminating the need for another form of identification. But seriously... how messed up is that?

You've got to love it when hijinks ensue at the DMV.

7 Comments:

At February 08, 2006 11:39 AM, Blogger Wade said...

Have you considered that someone may have a driver's license from another state that they may be able to provide as identification?

I realize that does not apply to you, but maybe to someone else.

 
At February 08, 2006 12:06 PM, Blogger HMC said...

I used my NY license to get an MD license.

The MVA is a horror that never ends...

 
At February 08, 2006 5:40 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

I'm surprised the lady was willing to plug in your SSN. I had to go to the DMV three times before I could get my license renewed. Now part of this way my fault, my eyesight had gone to shit and I failed the eye exam, but still...three times is too many.

 
At February 09, 2006 5:05 AM, Blogger Sharkbait said...

That cracks me up. It makes me wonder where they find these people. Where were you supposed to pull the license from, hm?

I wonder if they train their employees to think stupid. Seriously.

 
At February 09, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I'm faced with 2 trips to the DMV between today and March 15. I am not happy about it... I empathize.

 
At February 09, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

be thankful you don't live in DC. It took me 5 trips to DMV to get my licensed and car switched over from the exotic state of Virginia.

 
At February 09, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

The NY DMV was such a miserable experience it still makes me shudder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home