Jan 10, 2006

Patriot Fever

I don't talk about football too often. But since it's THAT time of year, I'll throw a shout-out to my team of choice: The New England Patriots. I would love to see them go to the Super Bowl again this year, although I recognize the chances of them winning ANOTHER Super Bowl are pretty slim, given that I think the team has been dealing with injuries all season. And contrary to popular belief, I don't like the Patriots because "everyone" else does. I like the Patriots because my friend Clay brought them to my attention. That and Peter Griffin seems to think they're awesome. Who can argue with Family Guy logic? Oh, yeah. And Tom Brady is a Stone. Cold. Fox. I'm sold. Go, Pats! The BLS believes.

What I do NOT believe in, however, is the USA PATRIOT Act. I'm taking an accelerated law course over winter break on Responses to Terrorism. In this course, we've been discussing the USA PATRIOT Act, which is an acronym for Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism.

Okay, first things first. Who in the hell came up with that name to begin with? Secondly, WHAT was Congress thinking in allowing this bill to pass? I realize that this political rant comes about 4 years too late, but I'm not really down with the government being able to peek into my library records, among other things. I don't have anything to hide, but it scares me that the government has been given such a tremendous amount of power in the name of "obstructing and combating terrorism." Me no likey. As I commented to Kitrah after class today, "F*** the Patriot Act! Just F*** it!" At this point, I feel it's important to note that I don't really get worked up over politics too much. If something like this is upsetting me (who usually has a "blah" attitude towards politics in general), it SHOULD be upsetting you. Just a thought.

I realize that this is a unique kind of post for my usually upbeat blog about celebrities, hot guys, and law school. So, if you take away ANYTHING from this blog of today, let it be this: Tom Brady and the New England Patriots= GOOD. The USA PATRIOT Act= VERY VERY BAD.

2 Comments:

At January 12, 2006 4:59 AM, Blogger HMC said...

I absolutely concur with your assessment of Tom Brady. Yowza. I want the Pats to win as well but since there are so many Steelers fans around here, I try to keep it quiet. =)

 
At January 12, 2006 8:43 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I'm not a big fan of The USA Patriot Act myself. It essentially allows the government to spy on every part of our lives with no repercusssions whatsoever. Scary.

And the name is supposed to make us think it's all about protecting us loyal Americans. Hmmm, why is McCarthy suddenly coming to mind?

Tom Brady is quite cute by the by ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home