Jan 30, 2006

Freakish Fingernails

As I mentioned in my post regarding New Year's Resolutions, 2006 was going to be "The Year The BLS Quit Chewing Her Fingernails." I've taken steps towards seeing that it happens, too. I even went down to Ye Olde Beauty Salon and got acrylic nails put on my fingernails so I can't chew them. When I was fitted with these nails, the nail technician informed me that it would take a while for my fingernails to grow out for a couple of reasons. The first, and most obvious of reasons was that my fingernails had been chewed down to the quick (and I mean quick. As The Congressman, Kitrah, and Momma K can testify, my fingernails were so short that the majority of the nail bed was exposed.) The other reason that my nail technician informed me that it might take awhile to grow out my nails is because the average human nail grows only .1 millimeter every day. (For those of you mathematically challenged like me, that's 1 centimeter every 100 days.)

Apparently, I have "special" fingernails. After only a week of acrylic nails, I was in need of a fill because my nails had grown so much. So I got the nails filled. Now, another week later... it looks like I need ANOTHER fill on about half of my fingers. What's up with THAT, I have to ask? Are my nails rapidly regenerating because of the fact that they were so dangerously short, or did my house get hit by a vat of nuclear waste which resulted in my ability to grow my fingernails at a dangerously fast rate?

That's right. Just call me Meg.

6 Comments:

At January 31, 2006 3:22 AM, Blogger BadGod said...

Damn. Who the fuck do you remind me of? Someone famous.

This is gonna bother me until I figure it out.

 
At January 31, 2006 6:34 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I hate to give you the bad news, but once acrylic nails are removed, your real nails will not grow well again.

Sawwy.

 
At January 31, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Wade said...

I chewed my fingernails when i was a teenager.
My brother did too, but he kept on for a long time. He's 40 something, and I don't think he still does it.
Problem is, his fingers still look stubby. You can seriously harm the look of your hands permanently if you don't quit.
Think of it like tobacco use. Maybe you won't die from it, but nail chewing can have permanent effects.
I just sounded like "the Man" huh?
Sorry.

 
At January 31, 2006 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that your nails won't grow well after the acrylics, it's that it takes a long time for the weakened nail under the fakes to grow out. Although I suppose it's possible that after years of acrylics, your own nail beds could be so damaged that you won't grow good nails.

 
At January 31, 2006 7:44 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Meg really did get the short end of the stick when the super powers were handed out...

 
At March 24, 2006 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 cm = 10 mm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home