Dec 20, 2005

Obscene Gestures from a Pristine Girl

I just turned in my White Collar Crime final. I am now OFFICIALLY half-way done with law school. Wow. That's kinda scary, considering that I feel like I don't even know 1/10th of the law. What I do know is this, however, and I've been meaning to blog about it since... before I had a blog. I go to a pretty small law school. Actually, I'm pretty sure if it's not THE smallest law school in the nation, it's pretty close to being the smallest.

Anyway, here at my small law school, we get to know everyone in our class (and the other classes) pretty well. We learn the overall personalities of the classes pretty quickly, and I think it's safe to say that my class is the smartass class. We're all generally laid back (as laid back as type-A's can be) and we're pretty easy-going. The classes that sandwich us, however, are completely different, but I'm really going to only focus on the class that is a year ahead of us. (NOTE: Extreme bitchiness ahead!)

To the 3L class: You people sicken me. I can't stand your class. For the most part, the majority of you are whiny and manipulative people who I shudder to think that I'll be working with in the next couple of years. I wouldn't trust the majority of you with a pencil, let alone a lawsuit. Why am I so pissed at you, you may ask? Okay... let's review:

I've been watching a lot of Golden Girls lately, so we're gonna do this Sophia-style: Picture it. Law School. Civil Procedures, first semester. This final was NORMALLY open book, and had been so for years. But your class had to take in old copies of the exam (named "The Grid") in violation of the Honor Code. As a result, MY class had to take the test closed-book, and SIX people in my class failed. (I wasn't one of them. Nevertheless, I'm pissed at your unprofessionalism and lack of ethical standards in test-taking. Way to screw my class over because you were concerned about your f***ing grades. As I've been told in job interview after job interview... GRADES DON'T MATTER. Standards of ethics do. And you're only proving that you have none. Way to go.)

Moving onward... let's look at THIS semester. Business Organizations is a class that a lot of people had yielded as an "easy-A" class. Why? Because the professor provided you with all the statutes that you needed to know and you were allowed to write any notes you could on the sheets she gave you... and what happened? Your unethical class not only used the sheets she provided you with to write your notes on, but YOU SUPPLEMENTED THOSE PAGES with extra blank pages filled with your notes. In other words, you cheated. Again. And as a result... we were given a CLOSED BOOK test on a million statutes and about 75 cases. All because your god-damned class wouldn't recognize the word "ethical" if we attached 100 bucks to it in the dictionary. (NOTE: The Business Organizations test wasn't that bad. I think I did okay. I'm pissed about the principle behind it, though.) Way to screw us over two years in a row, 3Ls. I cannot WAIT to see what you've done to us next year.

So, on behalf of your outstanding showing of ethical standards in law school, I'm going to leave it to Claire Standish to conclude:

(NOTE: I'm not really as pissed at it may appear. Those comments have been bottled up since the beginning of this semester. A less-bitter post will follow soon, I promise. I liked Lisa's list. Maybe I'll do one of those... after I'm done celebrating about the fact that I'm halfway done with law school!)

6 Comments:

At December 20, 2005 5:18 PM, Blogger Wade said...

OK BLS.
You know those 3L people sound like they will make fine attorneys.
Ethics? We don't need no stinking ethics!

 
At December 21, 2005 4:20 AM, Blogger HMC said...

I loved the Golden Girls take! Classic!

 
At December 21, 2005 5:48 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Congrats on being officially half-way through law school! Good for you Hon.

Awesome rant and I like Golden Girls too lol. It is so yucky when one group ruins it for the next one. I guess they don't care but shame on them anyway. And I despise people who cheat.

Thanks for the compliment on my list and I look forward to reading yours!
AND hearing about your celebration ;-)

 
At December 21, 2005 5:52 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Oops, I forgot to mention that I LOVED the title of this post!

 
At December 21, 2005 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! i can't believe you're half done, halfway to becoming a walking oxymoron (a laywer with ethical standards). good for you!

 
At December 21, 2005 1:26 PM, Blogger TLG said...

You'll feel better once you leave the ethics behind. Aparently your grades will improve as well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home