Oct 26, 2005

The RTRO


The setting is familiar. You're sitting in traffic. You're bored. A familiar tune comes on the radio. You start humming along with the melody. Before you know it, you're completely rocking out. Your head is moving, you're singing at the top of your lungs, and if you weren't restricted by the seat belt, you'd be performing dance moves worthy of an MTV Music Video award. My friend, you've just been the victim of The RTRO: The Random Traffic Rock-Out.

I happen to be the victim of the RTRO on more than one occasion. In fact, you could probably say that I'm a willing participant of the RTRO. Since I don't have the luxury of living alone, my car has been my sanctuary for wackiness, and I take full advantage of it. When I'm in my car and the radio is blasting, forget Kelly Clarkson or Clay Aiken. I am the American Idol.

Well, the American Idol got busted today.

Here's the situation: I was driving to school. Being a little stressed out about life as a second year law student and and an upcoming test about hearsay, I was more than happy when a song that's been an iPod staple came on the radio. So I did what comes naturally to me: I cranked up the volume and went to town. Hell, I rocked that song. So imagine my surprise when I glance across traffic (at a stoplight) and see someone watching my performance.

Not just anyone. The guy in the Subaru Outback next to my car was hot.

I was faced with a choice: I could have pulled a Michael Bolton ala Office Space, complete with the obligatory turning down of the radio, the locking of the car doors, and the sinking down into the car seats... or, to quote a song, I could "throw my hands in the air, wave them like I just don't care." Yeah, I picked the latter. I threw my head back and just kept on singin'. It wasn't about impressing the cute guy in the car next to mine, it was about being true to who I was. And at that moment, I was BLS: The Wannabe Lawyer/ Rock Star.

Here's the kicker: HE WAS LISTENING TO THE SAME RADIO STATION! And not only was he listening to the same station, he was singing along and dancing, too! Granted, it was the subdued "male" dancing... above the neck only. But considering the song, it made my day.

The song? "Behind These Hazel Eyes" by Kelly Clarkson.

Seriously, how awesome is that? That was a situation that could have made me squirm, but instead I left that intersection still singing. Needless to say, my day was made. And it was only 7:55am.

5 Comments:

At October 27, 2005 7:40 AM, Blogger TBone said...

You rock my face.

 
At October 27, 2005 3:00 PM, Blogger TLG said...

LOL I enjoy singing in the car a little TOO much. I dont think the other people in the intersection want to hear the stuff i'm singing LOL

 
At October 29, 2005 5:31 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Damn blogger ate my commment - HARUMPH!

Anyway, tis cool you starred in your own movie today, "The BLS Rocking The Car"

Wonder what it is rated?

 
At October 29, 2005 8:33 AM, Blogger TBone said...

At least PG-13 for "Suggestive Themes". Did you take your top off?

 
At October 30, 2005 4:54 PM, Blogger Wade said...

U R funny!, LMAO at/with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home