Sep 19, 2005

Why I Love My Office Mates #391:

Okay... so the whole dynamic of law school is enough to make you crazy, right? (Or at least, a little chubbier, as demonstrated by my last post.) After you soldier and claw your way through your first year, the administration decides that (at least at my school) since you haven't gone bonkers in the process of learning the ropes, you deserve an office! Sounds pretty nifty, right? Well, waitaminute before you buy that enormous sized office chair, there, Sparky. There is a BIG BIG catch when it comes to this groovy "office" you've inherited. First of all, it's not much bigger than a casket. Secondly, THERE. ARE. NO. WINDOWS. And, it gets ridiculously hot in these offices. Why? Because they cram FOUR law students into it! Seriously, when all four of us are in the office, I feel like one of those students that cram themselves into phone booths for kicks. To put the final nail in the coffin, unless you've already chosen your officemates the previous school year, they'll randomly throw you into one of these little sweat boxes with three other people.

But I wasn't that unfortunate. Actually, I think that I got pretty lucky when it came to my office mates. You've already met Q. Then there is The Congressman, whose nickname stems from the fact that he lost an bid for the state House of Representatives. Before you feel too sorry for him, though, remember that I live in the little blue spot on the very big, very red state. He knew it was a losing battle when he went into it. Anyway, rounding out our fab four is Momma K, who has a really cute son. We're all pretty different, although Q, The Congressman, and I share a love for old BtVS reruns. But in any case, my office mates seriously rock!
Case in point: Today, The Congressman approached Q and I right before our Federal Tax class and suggests that we all go out for Chinese food at lunch. As I-HEART-Chinese food, I was down with the plan immediately and Q jumps right on board. Momma K, however, had Property and couldn't make it, which was a bummer. So... it was Q, The Congressman, and myself heading out for a nice Chinese lunch, when I, being the smartass that I am... suggest that we all get hammered before heading back to our Evidence class.
Q, being pretty sensible, points out that if we all get drunk, we'd have no way of getting back to class, as no one could legally drive. My comment? "Oh, let's just call our Evidence professor and have her come get us. She'd do it, and we would go down in history as the ballsiest 2L's EVER." At this point, I need to add that I was TOTALLY KIDDING. But WHAT did Q and The Congressman do at lunch, you may ask? They. Got. Hammered. (Well, Q didn't. She got tipsy. The Congressman, on the other hand, knocked back two martinis and a glass of champagne. Needless to say, he was feeling pretty good.) I didn't partake on this little adventure, as fun as it looked. As most of you know, I lost my dad to serosis of the liver a little over a month ago, and I don't feel comfy getting down with Johnny, Jose, Jack, and Jim at the moment. But that doesn't mean it wasn't fun to watch The Congressman stumble out into the parking lot, struggling with hiccups while Q insisted to me that we needed to stock the mini- refrigerator in our office with champagne rightnow.
The afternoon (at least before our Evidence class) was spent searching for a restroom because Q's "teeth were floating" (direct quote) and "buying books and shit" at the Bookstore for The Congressman. (Necessary point: The Congressman is dignified. He is calm and collected and polite at all times. He wears suits on Friday. He doesn't swear. So when he says "books and shit," it's time to chuckle.) Anyway, to end the story, we all made it to Evidence class and the teacher was none the wiser.
Aside from all the competitveness and stress that comes with the learning of the law.... this is why I came to law school. Thanks for the memories, Office Mates. Here's to a bunch more before the year is over.

6 Comments:

At September 20, 2005 11:24 AM, Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Wow, law school sounds quite um entertaining ;-)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

 
At September 21, 2005 4:25 AM, Blogger HMC said...

I think the alcoholic fun has something to do with assocation with the government. All the lawyers I know (and I do know alot!) love to party. It was lawyers that got me so drunk on my 21st birthday that I was actually still drunk the next day.

Similarly, now that I work for the federal govt, I am drinking more often and know many people who chose that as a lifestyle. In fact, I ate buffalo wings and did buttery nipples with over a dozen goverment people last night.

It really must have something to do with the proximity to official government business. Something about holding people's futures in your hands and defending them from "The Man" encourages the love of alcohol. Either that or the job attracts the fun lovers.

 
At September 21, 2005 7:19 PM, Blogger TLG said...

that's right. law school is about giggles and comraderie. not about... y'know... lawyering or anything. ;) I'm just kidding. I know you'll law real gewd some day.

my friend has a guy who just quit from her office (she was about to fire him) i think he was confused and he thought the real world worked like law school where it's schoolwork and paling around. He actually threw a temper tantrum when a judge didn't give him his way and took off and went home. I think he's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, actually. Which is a bummer. he was a nice dude till he gradjumikated from law school

 
At September 22, 2005 7:07 AM, Blogger HMC said...

See, I kinda see it the exact opposite. My sister gradumakated law school, got a job, and now she plays golf for charity on company time instead of studying and wondering if she could afford to eat something other than ramen noodles. Lawyering can probably be pretty sweet if you realize that it's a job and that fun can be involved. That's actually my life lesson for today. =)

 
At September 22, 2005 12:10 PM, Blogger The BLS said...

I'm still reeling over the dumbass that pitched a fit in front of the judge... sounds like something my ex would do.

But, Juudddggge!

 
At September 22, 2005 2:27 PM, Blogger TLG said...

LOL my friend was saying the same thing. He's been a complete hosebag since he graduated. When my friend left to have surgery, he started treating the office staff like crap (i'm the lawyer, I know everything) and basically was doing even less work than he was doing before she left... which actually became NEGATIVE work because the office staff had to clean up his messed up forms and such.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home