Aug 12, 2005

The BLS: Tragic Spinster?!?

I've been having a strange day. I was doing a bit of surfing online yesterday (imagine that--BLS wasting time at work) and I found that studies have shown that women who pursue a career/education are likely to get married much later than their female counterparts, if at all. Okay, to be honest, that was one of the most depressing things I've ever heard! So, I've been busting my butt all through high school, college, and now law school to find out that I'm not marriage material? What's unattractive about a woman with ambition? What's so undesirable about a woman who wants to support herself and pull her share in a marriage? Am I destined to be a 30-something spinster like Bridget Jones, and if so, when did I stumble onto this track? More importantly, when and why did I start to care about all this?!?

For those of you that know me, you've known me as the gal who always thought marriage was "a nice idea," but wasn't sure if it's something that she wanted to pursue. Even when I was engaged to Kurt, the notion of marriage seemed far away and lofty (probably because I insisted upon a long engagement. NOW we know why... oh, hindsight, how you mock me.) I don't know, though. Maybe it's a sign that I'm growing up. Maybe my recent thoughts about marriage have been centered around the fact that Kurt's and my "wedding date" passed recently and I'm having a hard time remembering that if everything hadn't evolved the way it did, I would be married right now. Add that thought to the fact that practically everyone I know is married or getting married, and I just kind of feel.... left out. And then I ask myself the inevitable question of, "What's so wrong with me?"

Perhaps my standards are too high? Judging from my slew of boyfriends past, I'm gonna have to go with a "no" on that one (and it's bordering on a "hell, no" at that.) And the current boyfriend is great, but can I see a future with him? *shrug* Haven't really given it much thought. We haven't been dating that long. So the question of whether my standards are too high is left unanswered, and I'm going to leave it to you loyal BLS readers (you know, both of you) to answer it for me. THIS is what I'm looking for in a guy:

Single and straight non-smoker, approx. 26-31 years old, taller than me (NOT hard, I'm freaking 5'2"!), with the ability to make me laugh. Personality is a MUST, although said male doesn't have to be the life of the party, just witty. While good looks are certainly not turned down (let's be realistic here) they are not a requirement to win The BLS's heart, as she has SOME depth to her character. :) Mystery male should be intelligent enough to carry on a stimulating conversation. While status of position is not overwhelmingly important, it would be nice if mystery male was semi-successful in the field of his choosing. Mystery male needs to like animals and have a sensitive side. Coffee addicts and "Baywatch" fans are acceptable. Interesting family history is welcomed, as well as any aversions to Thanksgiving food.

I realize that I have a picture of Chandler Bing posted next to that description. And yes, before you mock me TOO much, I'll admit that Chandler Bing is probably the closest thing to my dream man that I will ever see (with the obvious exception of Matt Damon-- rrroaar.) He's not without his issues and he's got several incredible qualities to him. And, no, I don't find the self-depreciating humor or the use of humor as a defense mechanism annoying. I think it's endearing. Anyway... are my standards too high, guys? Incidentally, if you know any guys that meet this description, have them drop me a line. Right now. And if you don't know any guys matching that description, don't worry... it's cool. I have Friends on DVD. I can wait.

Thanks for hearing me out. More entertaining (and lament-free) posts are forthcoming, I promise. :)

1 Comments:

At August 12, 2005 10:57 PM, Blogger mlejane said...

Well, I don't know, it didn't feel as torturous as you may have thought to "hear you out." I rather enjoyed this read... It was one most single mid-twenties women can relate to I'm sure. But alas, I too have been thinking that 'more important' thought of, when and why did I start to care about all this?!? I shall have to come by and visit you more often. Oh and thanks for stopping by today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home